Maldives is a paradise nation very famous for honeymoon travelers. But, the spectacular island nation is also an ideal vacation spot for a plethora of thrilling adventure activities. Here are our top 10 best activities to do while in Maldives.
- Scuba diving – Scuba diving is open for beginners and pros alike in the Maldives. There are hundreds of dive centers and dive schools offering world-class diving courses. These dive centers will offer the services of PADI licensed instructors, who will be eager to teach you the skills of scuba diving. Once you complete an open water dive course or scuba diver course in the Maldives, you will be certified to dive anywhere in the world, as these courses are licensed by PADI.
- Snorkeling – Snorkeling in the Maldives is an uncomplicated activity available to everyone. Accordingly young kids and adults can engage in this happening recreation. You do not have to be a great swimmer to be a snorkeler. The attractiveness of the beautiful sea will make you swim naturally. Resort islands and other tourist establishments will teach snorkeling to their guests. For kids and beginners, guided snorkeling will be provided.
- Water sports – All the resorts, guest houses and liveaboards provide unlimited access to exciting water sports activities. Resort islands operate, world-class water sports centres to thrill their visitors. Some of the water sports activities may look complicated and demanding. However, there is no reason to be in awe of them, as the water sport centres will teach you and guide you to excel in your preferred water sports activities. Some of the water sport activities that you can partake in the resorts includes; canoeing, catamaran sailing, water Skiing, fun tube, kayaking, wakeboarding, Jet Ski tours, parasailing, banana boat towing, windsurfing, snorkelling, kitesurfing and kneeboarding. Modern technology has played a key role in introducing revolutionary new water sports concepts. Accordingly the water sport centres in the Maldives offers all the ultra modern water sport activities. Zoom over the sea powered by the X-Jetpacks and fly like a superhero. Feel like James Bond when you embark on a Seabob ride on the fastest underwater scooter.
Surfing enthusiasts from around the world visits the Maldives annually to ride the waves generated in the now famous surf breaks. Showcase your surfing talents in the international surfing events held in the Maldives.
- Seaplane photo flight – One of the most popular activities in the Maldives is a seaplane photo flight. Visitors love to embark on this journey to capture stunning images of the flawless islands from above. Seaplane operators in the Maldives organise scheduled seaplane photo flights. Moreover there are resorts that organise seaplane photo flights jointly with the seaplane operators by chartering the seaplanes. The islands and lagoons stretch out across the vast blue coloured ocean harmoniously. Take stunning photos of this magical sight as you enjoy a secure ride in the seaplanes. Comfortable seating and large windows of the planes give you the opportunity to position your cameras perfectly to shoot the best pictures. The seaplane journey which began from the sea concludes when the plane again lands on the water. By this time you will have experienced one of the most remarkable journeys of your life. Take with you as memoirs the breathtaking pictures you took during this magical flight.
- Underwater Scooter: An underwater scooter yields a unique thrill for non-divers and even non-swimmers. These scooters were invented to provide the thrills of scuba diving without cumbersome gear such as a weight belt or strapped tank. The scooter has a self-contained breathing environment that makes it natural and comfortable to breathe as it travels underwater at a depth of 5m and with a speed of about 2kph. The scooters are powered by electric battery and are available for one or two passengers.
- Underwater Spa: The first underwater spa in the world was created in the Maldives, in a resort in North Male’ Atoll only a 25-minute speedboat ride from Ibrahim Nasir International Airport. This features two glass-walled underwater treatment rooms with panoramic views of a coral reef and curious fish, and a soothing design inspired by the colours and textures of the sea. The signature underwater spa experience lasts a heavenly three hours of treatment with indigenous island coconut, lime and mineral oils followed by a melting application of ice, and relaxation while marveling at the views of clownfish, stingrays and other exotic marine life. Set 100m from the resort’s shore at the end of a wooden promenade, the spa’s treatment rooms are eight meters below the surface.
- Underwater Restaurant and nightclub: Submerged six meters below water level, diners can sit eye-to-eye with the spectacular marine life of the Indian Ocean. Subsix, the underwater space at PER AQUUM Niyama resort in the Maldives, was the world’s only underwater nightclub, and has now broadened its remit to that of “underwater playground”. Subsix is located 500 meters off-shore from PER AQUUM on Niyama island, in the Maldives’ Dhaalu Atoll. Resort guests are whisked out to Subsix on a speedboat, then led down below sea level via a grand staircase.
- Glass Bottom Boat Trips: An effortless way to view the underwater world in the placid lagoon of a resort is through the transparent deck of a piloted glass bottom boat. Passengers sit on seats running the length of the boat (made of fibreglass), peering into a well in the centre of the boat that has a glass bottom and reveals everything the vessel is cruising over. It is an amazing experience for the sedentary to glimpse brilliant-hued fish and gardens of coral and also to see the dramatic plunging of a reef into the dark depths of the ocean.
- Photo Flight: A photo flight gives a bird’s-eye view of the islands, the natural atoll formations, the sand banks, the vegetation and the translucent colours of the lagoons in contrast to the darker waters of the surrounding ocean. Comfortable seating and large windows in the planes give an opportunity to shoot good photographs. The pilots know what photographers look for and circle above picturesque locations. The scheduled flights last for 20 minutes from dock to dock and carry a minimum of seven adults. Charter photo flights can also be arranged from a resort and back.
- Free diving: sport is also known as skin diving. It relies on the diver’s ability to hold breath underwater until resurfacing, instead of using traditional breathing apparatus such as scuba gear. It can be a competitive sport in which divers strive to attain great depths, times or distance with a single breath. Free diving is the basis of synchronised swimming and underwater games. Free diving is actually an ancient practice in the Maldives from the days when a boatman would have to dive down to the seabed to untie a rope from the sunken rock to which the boat is moored, or to unhook an anchor caught in a reef.