Winters bring a lot of warmth and activity to Dubai. Don’t believe us? Head towards the Dubai Creek area that connects the sea trading port to the desert as it passes through the heart of Dubai. On one side of it is the Gulf and on the other we have the Ras al Khor bird sanctuary.
If you are on a look out for a hot and happening place this winter, the cool and calm Dubai Creek would you your destination.
“The Dubai Creek used to be the central hub of activity for the Emirate, and as this started to change, the Creek has become where Dubai’s legacy truly lives.” says Stephan Vanden Auweele, General Manager for Sheraton Dubai Creek set on the edge of the Creek.
1. Al Bastakiya District, Heritage Village and Dubai Museum. If history is what interests you, then you might want to visit this 1787-built museum located inside the Al Fahidi Fort. It is the oldest existing building in Dubai
2. Cable Car. Suspended 30 metres in the air, you can cover about 2.3km length of the Dubai Creek park in just hour an hour.
3. Cruise-de-Creek. If you like the idea of slowly absorbing the surroundings and love the idea of an old world charm, you might want to hire a water taxi or a wooden dhow and cruise down the Dubai Creek.
4. Dubai Dolphinarium. Click a selfie with the bottlenose dolphins or get close to these friendly mammals. Do watch one of the most action-packed live shows.
5. Walk down the Lane. Did anyone tell you that the Dhow Wharfage area along the Creek can prove to be one of the most interesting walks of your lives? The sailors are happy to have you around and if you are lucky, might give you a sneak-peek into their dhows.
6. Shop spices. Treat your senses to the aroma of some unique and exotic spices and herbs. Pick some back for your kitchen.
7. Shop Gold. Not everyday would you have the time to window shop for gold at one of the most extensive collections of gold anywhere in the world. Head to Gold Souks and do not forget to bargain. Do not settle for the first price!
8. Street shows. The Dubai Creek has been witness to many a live shows, plays, music and fireworks. The Al Seef, Al Muraqabat, and Al Rigga streets come alive during the Dubai Shopping Festival
9. Mall Hopping. You are not far from the malls. A short metro or a car ride would take you to the Deira City Centre, Burjuman or even Dubai Mall.
10. Sunset. One of the most overrated activities but as they say the sun sets in a different manner in every part of the earth. Watch it go down as you dine at one of the many restaurants in the Creek Area. It will surely transport you to the bygone era. We recommend Vivaldi by Alfredo Russo, the signature Italian restaurant located in Sheraton Dubai Creek. (website: http://www.vivaldidubai.com/ phone: +971 (0) 4 207 1717)
Do you know any other fun stuff to do in and around the Dubai Creek? Let us know in the comments and we will add it to the list!