Abu Dhabi’s new upcoming iconic Midfield Terminal is on track to make a mark on the regional and international air transport map
Abu Dhabi Airports announced that it has so far spent AED 12.5 billion or 66 percent of the AED 19.1 billion budget for its iconic mega-structure Midfield Terminal Building (MTB) which will be completed by Q4 of 2019.
The Midfield Terminal will span 742,000 square metres, and along with the existing terminals at Abu Dhabi International Airport will serve a number of passengers flying through Abu Dhabi.
When complete the mega terminal along with the existing terminals at Abu Dhabi International Airport (AUH) is expected to serve in excess of 45 million passengers within the next ten years.
“According to the schedule, it will be ready for operation in 2019 and we are confident our contractor and teams will deliver. This building will serve 84 million passengers a year, or 11,000 passengers per hour at peak times,” said Abdul Majeed Al Khoori, Acting CEO at Abu Dhabi Airports.
”The MTB, which will support both, our own long-term growth ambitions, and those of other Abu Dhabi stakeholders, particularly Etihad Airways, as the emirate’s economy continues to expand and diversify, is now 86 percent complete and experimental operations will begin by the end of 2018,” he stated.
”The 742,000 sq. mt. MTB features the world’s longest indoor arch – 180m long and 52m high, weighing 1,000 metric tonnes,” he noted.
According to the plan, it will have 28,000 square metres of retail and food and beverage space.
”The MTB constitutes one of the key stimulants of economic growth in Abu Dhabi and a milestone in the development of the basic infrastructure needed to generate optimum revenues for the aviation sector,” he added.
The project, he said, will bolster the growing air, land and sea transport system under the Abu Dhabi Vision 2030 to build a diversified, sustainable economy.
VIDEO: Progress of Abu Dhabi Midfield Terminal from 2016 till 2017
شاهد التطورات التي طرأت على مشروع مبنى المطار الجديد بين 2016 و 2017Take a look at the progress made on the MTB from 2016 till 2017
Posted by Abu Dhabi Airport on Monday, November 6, 2017
Abu Dhabi Midfield Terminal Key Facts
From an arch stretching 180 meters and weighing 700 tonnes, to over 50 million man working-hours, the facts and figures around the Midfield Terminal Project are impressive.
1. Over 15,000 workers on the site
2. Currently 86% complete
3. MTB will have capacity to handle up to 84 million passengers a year
4. MTB roof is resting on 18 steel arches
5. MTB roof grill weighs 20,000 metric tons
6. MTB features world’s longest indoor arch – 180m long and 52m high, weighing 1,000 metric tons
7. MTB baggage handling system will process over 19,200 bags per hour, along 28km of conveyor
8. MTB is designed to have 45 minute minimum connection time, including baggage transfers
9. MTB will have 35,000 sqm of Duty Free shopping, retail, dining, and entertainment
10. MTB will be able to handle 11,000 passengers per hour at peak times
11. Total size of MTB is 742,000sqm
12. MTB is visible from 1.5km away
13. MTB has four piers, with 65 stands, and 14 remote stands
14. MTB’s longest pier is 550m
15. All four of MTB’s piers used a total of 26500 metric tons of steel
16. 200,000sqm of glass is being used for curtain walling of MTB
17. 260,000sqm of aluminum is being used for the roof of the MTB
18. MTB has been given 3 Pearl Rating by Estidama Pearl Building Rating System
19. MTB will have 145 elevators
20. MTB will have 46 travelators
21. MTB will have 106 passenger bridges
22. MTB will have over 30,000sqm of lounge space