We review the refreshed Honda Pilot 2019. Read more to find out on its specifications, performance, safety features, price and whether this is the right SUV for you.
Mid-size SUVs are great. They’re perfect for big families and even more insane for cross-country road trips thanks to its perfect positioning in the automobile industry. Honda as a brand has grown tremendously in offering vehicles with incredible value and fuel economies. You match the two and that’s where the pilot comes in.
It’s no slouch in terms of performance, Super comfortable for long drives thanks to its smooth powertrain and last but no the least, packed with various gizmos to make it a fun experience for both the driver and passenger.
What we liked
- Honda Sense is out of the world
- Very spacious and spread out interiors
- Great ground clearance
- 3.5L V6 Engine ensures great performance for a vehicle in its class
- Entertainment system with CabinTalk is stellar
- Decent fuel economy
- AWD System
What we didn’t like
- Use of hard plastics in the cabin is a bit of a let down
- Bit on the pricier side
- Adaptive cruiser control is a little overly sensitive
- Access to the last row is a bit narrow
• Length (mm): 5,004
• Width (mm): 2,296
• Height (mm): 1,809
• Wheelbase (mm): 2,818
• Engine: 3.5L SOHC, i-VTEC, 24 Valve V6
• Variable Cylinder Management (VCM)
• Power: [email protected]
• Torque: [email protected]
• Transmission: 6AT
• Drive Mode – Normal/Snow/Sand/Mud
• Electronic Power Steering • ECON Mode
• 20” Alloy Wheels
• Tail gate Spoiler with LED High Mount Stop Light
• Power Tailgate with Hands-Free Assist
• Roof Rails
• Front and Rear Chrome Lower Bumpers
• Chrome Running Boards
• LED Headlights
• LED DRLs
• LED Fog lights
• Power Foldable Door Mirror with Auto Tilt
• LED Side Turn Signal on Door Mirror
• Smart Entry
• Front and Rear Parking Sensors
• Tri Zone Automatic Air Conditioner
• 8 Way Power Driver Seat with 2 Way Power Lumbar Support
• 4 Way Power Assistant Seat
• Ventilated and Heated Seats (Driver and Assistant)
• CabinTalk™ In-Car PA System
• Memory Driver Seat + Side Mirrors
• Leather Interior
• Multi Angle Rear View Camera
• 8” Touch Screen Display Audio + Navigation
• 10.2” Rear Entertainment System with Bluetooth Headset x 2
• AUX Input + 2.5 AMP USB Port x 4 + HDMI Jack
• Apple CarPlay • Active Noise Cancellation (ANC)
• Push Button Start
• Remote Control Engine Starter
• Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC)
• Audio Controls on Steering Wheel
• Premium Sound System (10 Speakers + Subwoofer)
• Honda Sensing® Suite
• Rear Cross Traffic Monitor (RCTM)
• Blind Spot Information System (BSI)
• Dual SRS Airbags (Driver & Assistant)
• Side and Side Curtain Airbags
• Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS)
• Electronic Brake Force Distribution (EBD)
• Traction Control System (TCS)
• Hill Start Assist (HSA)
• Agile Handling Assist (AHA)
• Vehicle Stability Assist (VSA)
• Emergency Stop Signal (ESS)
• Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) with Fill Assist
• Immobilizer System
There’s no doubt the Pilot is one of the best looking vehicles in its class. With a solid grill, chrome trims and huge fog lamps, the front bit of the vehicle has a beastly appearance. Thanks to it’s spacious interiors, it’s perfect for families with ample legroom to move around. Plenty of ground clearance ensures those mini-off road trips should be no issue whatsoever.
Performance and Handling
The 3.5 liter V6 engine is extra-ordinary. Performance is at par with most vehicles in the mid-size SUV segment. Turning radius is great during u-turns and other sharp turns. You’ve got multiple driving modes to choose from like Normal, Sand, Snow and Mud. Not sure where you’ll ever use the snow mode in the UAE, but it’s there if you ever need it.
ECON mode ensures you get great fuel efficiency without compromising on performance. We were able to get about 11 Km/ Liter during our testing period.
Honda Sense is no gimmick. It works like charm. With a combination of technologies like Collision Mitigation System, Rear Cross Traffic Monitor, Blind Spot Information, the list just goes on.
I was driving down Etihad road when a car in front of me slammed its breaks and before I could slam mine, Honda Pilot had engaged the breaks automatically to mitigate the risks of a collision, and also flashing the emergency hazard lights to alert the vehicles behind. Definitely impressed how a computer worked faster than a human brain in terms of reaction.
Air bags all around the car for the driver and passengers safety. Then of course there’s the standard ABS system, Electronic Brake Distribution, Traction Control, Hill start assist. Honda prides itself in terms of safety and we see all the reasons why with the all new Pilot.
Therefore, it should be very surprising that the 2019 Honda Pilot has been awarded the coveted 2019 TOP SAFETY PICK rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) in recognition of its crash-safety performance.
The 10 speaker entertainment system is great. You’ve got an 8 inch speaker in the front for navigation and other functionalities. System supports both Android Auto and Apple CarPlay. A giant 10.2 inch rear entertainment screen with wireless Bluetooth headphones for audio.
My personal favorite feature would have to be the CabinTalk functionality which allows you to speak to the passengers behind – thanks to a built in PA system so in other words, you don’t have to yell at the kids while driving. A simple push of a button should do just fine.
Active Noise Cancellation is another feature that we found pretty cool. It basically uses a rear tray microphone to detect any booming sound and then emits an anti noise through the audio system speakers to cancel out those noises. The system works even when the audio system is of.
Remote start is great during Dubai’s scorching heat. You can have the air-conditioning system switched ON before you enter the vehicle – and letting it cool for your comfort.
It’s evident that the Honda Pilot is one of the best vehicles in its class. Spacious interiors and smooth driving performance makes it great for families to go on long drives. With the integration of state of the art driving assistance systems, you can drive with complete peace of mind that the safety of the driver and passengers is never compromised.
Pricing for the Honda Pilot series starts at AED 129,000 and is available at all Al Futtaim Honda Showrooms in the UAE.