It is a known fact that many people in the UAE (and rest of the Gulf) look for part-time jobs but end up working illegally, thereby risking themselves of fines and other unnecessary hassles.
A part-time job in UAE (or full-time) is legal if the employer provides you with a labour card, but this usually happens only for people on sponsorship of a relative or spouse for example. UAE labour does not allow an expat to have two sponsors, so if you are already employed and sponsored, taking up part-time employment with another employer is illegal. Additionally, there may be a conflict of interest with your current employer, which again complicates the situation.
Though there has been some development on allowing part-time work, you don’t have to restrict yourself finding work in a company based in the UAE to earn a few extra bucks.
There are plenty of opportunities for you on the Internet. Here’s a list of 8 web sites that we have selected to find work online, from the comfort of your home !
1. 10eqs is good for someone with high-end skills in Marketing, Research, PR, etc. “10EQS allows you to leverage your expertise quickly and easily by working together with others on critical issues for top clients around the world. When joining, you become part of an exciting global community of professionals with whom you work, grow, and are compensated for your contribution to solving important business problems.”
2. 99Designs is a Designer’s paradise, with hundred’s of Design opportunities at your fingertips. Compete with other Designers from around the world. Earn money, build client relationships, learn new skills and have fun.
3. Amazon Mechanical Turk (MTurk) is a crowdsourcing Internet marketplace that enables “Requesters” to co-ordinate the use of human intelligence to perform tasks that computers are unable to do yet. It is one of the suites of Amazon Web Services. The Requesters are able to pose tasks known as HITs (Human Intelligence Tasks), such as choosing the best among several photographs of a store-front, writing product descriptions, or identifying performers on music CDs. Workers or “Providers” can then browse among existing tasks and complete them for a monetary payment set by the Requester.
4. CloudCrowd provides large-scale crowdsourcing services and has developed a credibility system that automatically peer-reviews each task for accuracy. CloudCrowd offers individuals new ways to make money, achieve recognition, and fit work into busy schedules. CloudCrowd takes large projects and breaks them into pieces that can be managed by their online workforce. The system allows many different kinds of projects to be completed by workers with a wide range of skills. CloudCrowd was named to Entrepreneur Magazine’s “100 Most Brilliant Companies” list in June, 2010
5. Elance The largest categories of work on Elance are Information technology and Marketing. Other categories of work include Web development, programming, creative design, multimedia production, writing, search engine optimization, content translations and research
6. Freelancer offers plenty of opportunities in areas such as software, writing, data entry and design right through to engineering and the sciences, sales and marketing, and accounting & legal services.
7. oDesk is the marketplace for online workteams, with what it says is the best business model for both employers and contractors. oDesk’s unique approach guarantees to employers that an hour billed is an hour worked, while guaranteeing to contractors that an hour worked is an hour paid.
8. Tongal If you believe you’ve got Creative ideas, then you should try Tongal. Tongal offers creative people the unique opportunity to work with companies that need new and original video content. No matter what your skill set whether it’s coming up with ideas or taglines, shooting videos or commercials, creating animations or graphic designs, promoting or distributing content, Tongal has a place for you to contribute.
Disclaimer: Statements and opinions expressed in articles, reviews and other materials herein are those of the authors; the editors and publishers. Please do due diligence before you sign-up for any of the services mentioned in this article.